Monday, September 16, 2013

Chronicles: Calling All Hair Moms...Bumbo Chair Miracle




It is proven the best inventions are mistakes, or even preposterous ideas turned useful. My 4 month old was so fussy when I tried to comb her curly hair in the tub. She would squirm and wiggle and grunt. But, the child has a head full of hair. And, it's difficult to do. One day while she sat unsuspectingly in her Bumbo chair I had a thought...what if I tried combing her hair while she's sitting upright in the Bumbo chair? As moms we know in the baby gear world the Bumbo's right up there with bouncers and rattles. The Bumbo helps babies sit upright and stay fairly still for a few seconds. It's also entertaining to them even if only for a short while. It was a funny thought. But, she's such a little one. Should so much formality be necessary for her yet? Well, it was no more than a notion until I realized that her curly hair was getting tangled and knotted because of my lack of finesse while it's wet.

Of course, being a "child of the chair" myself I had to wonder if it was some type of abuse first. I know it's tough on a curly girl to sit there and have your twists and coils combed and brushed. After mulling over it and deliberating for days, I decided to go for it. I got her bathed and dressed for the day, making sure to wash and soak her hair in water. Then, I grabbed a towel, a comb and brush, a spray bottle of water, and some shea moisturizer. I put her in the Bumbo and wrapped the towel around her shoulders. The scene was out of my childhood as I flashed back to sitting in my stylist's chair waiting for the perfect hairstyle to make me feel beautiful again. When I could stop laughing, I quickly sprayed her hair with water, applied the moisturizer, and gently combed and brushed it out. She began to fuss only after she realized she was tired of sitting. Until then I managed to get her locks into a nice style. I think I've found a new use for the Bumbo chair, while she can still fit in it!

                      
It happened so fast she was dazed, but ready for a day out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your ideas! Please use decorum and kind language. Offensive and inappropriate comments may be blocked.