Sunday, March 9, 2014

Chronicles: Girl Scout Cookies - To Buy or Not To Buy

Oh, how I love a box of Thin Mints.No, seriously. Over the course of a month or so, I can eat an entire box of them. I hide them so no one else beats me to it because they are just that delectable. So, with all the controversy it was tough to decide whether or not to buy any this year.

What controversy? There's this hubbub, and this too, also here. There was even a rumor a few years back that all the proceeds went to the CEO and made her a kajillionaire. This, of course is not true. If you navigate to their website you will see that most if not all of the proceeds from sales go to local Girl Scout troops to go towards projects and activities. Still, with so many up in arms about the Girl Scouts I must admit that when I see them selling outside my local grocery store I am wary of buying simply because I don't want to fund anything negative that may directly effect the character development of a young girl.

But then I recall my own Girl Scout days. "Make new friends, keep the old, one is silver and the other is gold!" What a time I had. I developed good friendships and had quite an experience selling cookies myself. My mom was even a troop leader one year. How fun to have all the girls from my troop come to our house all the time to meet and plan and discuss. Being a Girl Scout was a really good experience that I probably wouldn't have received anywhere else in any other capacity at that time in my life. I won a cookie selling competition that year. I don't really recall what the prize was, but I do remember selling (or my mom selling) like a bajillion boxes of cookies and loving the excitement around that. We also planned and executed a slumber party, the first one of many I would have. All this means that Girl Scouts is a beneficial entity for so many reasons.

I know that it's strange for the adults who are running the corporate headquarters of the organization to make some decisions that could adversely interfere with what the local girls are doing, but by and large, it's nonsense to boycott cookies that young girls are selling to learn priceless lessons about business, skill development, and character development. Some troops are in the most precarious places where the young ladies will need all the support they can get to be empowered to lead positive lives. No, we should not boycott Girl Scout cookies anymore than we would boycott Oreos or Chips Ahoy. No, because in the end what is gained is priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your ideas! Please use decorum and kind language. Offensive and inappropriate comments may be blocked.