Monday, March 24, 2014

Chronicles:Are Work From Home Jobs American Outsourcing?

Okay, I give in. I'm a Christian woman who believes wholeheartedly in the biblical structure of the family. But...the western structure is a bit precarious in this country right now. Let's face it, two incomes are necessary to make it in this economy. Western society dictates June and Ward, but the Bible is full of love stories with women who work. Albeit there are some strange familial connections that would be straight out of a scene in deliverance in today's society. Rachel was Jacob's first love and first cousin. Ruth had been married to Boaz's distant cousin. Rebekkah was related to Isaac. David married his mistress after killing her husband in battle. Each of these men also had other wives. It's a love story, yes, but it's full of more scandal than any primetime TV show. This is often glossed over in church circles, but modern Christians also overlook that these women worked. They had jobs: Rachel was a shephardess, Ruth gleaned the harvest, Rebekkah was volunteering when she met Isaac's servant, Deborah was a judge. While the Bible doesn't specifically mention other matriarch's jobs, it does vilify Rahab, who was a prostitute, and Jezebel, who was doing her husband's job without any regard for his people's beliefs and customs, which was a problem since he was the king. Perhaps that's where the idea of having women stay home and out of the workplace gets its teeth. But, the Bible is not shy in relaying the notion that women don't have to do this.

It becomes crystal clear in Proverbs 31. I read it without any preconceived ideas or other's perceptions of it and realized she's a boss. This woman is the ultimate in feminism. She's got all kinds of businesses she's running and she holds it down at home with her husband and her children. I don't think she sleeps because she literally can't and the scripture actually says..."She rises while it is still night..." She is phenomenal in making it happen. Geesh, I kind of envy her. If I could pull that off...wow!

So, in attempting to help out with finances and still fulfill my role as mom and wife in a more practical way I've been filling out work from home applications. Yes, there are legitimate work from home jobs all over the place. You have to be savvy and know not to give anyone your own money to do work for them. But, real opportunities are out there. The problem is some of them actually pay pennies to do the work. Some jobs are actually paying folks $.01 to complete a task. The internet means you can hire people from all over the globe to do anything anywhere. And, current tax law says that if you hire them as "independent contractors" you don't have to worry about payroll taxes. So, work from home companies do it. I think this is American outsourcing. Some of these companies are paying much less than minimum wage, not paying payroll taxes, and not having to pay any overhead for facility maintenance, as they require the worker to have the equipment in their own home before they're even hired. It's a corporation's dream come true. And, I think it works well for some. My own experience was to over-think the tasks. I tried several of these jobs and ended up making like $6 after two hours of work. Maybe I'm not in touch with the pulse of America, or maybe I'm too work conscious. At any rate, I think teaching my daughter to take her first steps or say her first words, or listening to my sons read a chapter of the book they checked out at the library is worth that six dollars. I do that instead.

This doesn't mean I've stopped my diligent search for an online opportunity that will work for us. My husband's work schedule is flexible and I am good at a lot of things. Still, I've submitted about 15 applications and none of them have been accepted for actual guaranteed income, a traditional 20 - 40 hour / week job with benefits. I hold an advanced degree and have 14 years of work experience under my belt, but I get no takers. It's fascinating really. Meanwhile, we pinch pennies. That's no problem. My husband and I are both discount scavengers, always looking for a frugal way to enjoy life. But, it sure would be nice to at least get a call saying, "We're interested in hiring you." If not for the sake of actual monetary gain, then for the benefit of my self-esteem.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your ideas! Please use decorum and kind language. Offensive and inappropriate comments may be blocked.